Are You Memorizing God’s Word?
Three reasons to Memorize Scripture
- Reason #1: We are in a war—which means we need weapons. The Bible assures us we have an enemy who “goes about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8).
- Reason #2: Our primary weapon is the Word of God. With memorized Scripture, you can stop an attack, defend your ground, and defeat your enemy.
- Reason #3: The more you memorize, the less you sin!
Three common excuses
No, you’re not. Art Rorheim, the founder of AWANA Bible clubs, still memorized Scripture at 99. So can you!
- Excuse #2: My brain doesn’t work like it used to.
Join the club! That only means it might take a little longer—not that you can’t memorize Scripture.
- Excuse #3: It just doesn’t stick with me.
No. You just haven’t stuck with it! Give the process time—lots of it. Remember— there’s no prize for first place! Steady is more important than fast!
Three Tips to Memorize Scripture
- Tip #1: Choose a verse or passage you desperately need. Everyone’s going through something, so find some verses that speak directly to you right now.
- Tip #2: Write the verse or passage on a card you can carry. Take that card with you wherever you go. Start memorizing one small phrase at a time.
- Tip #3: Seize the small moments to memorize. Are you waiting at the doctor's office or in line at the grocery store? Pull out that card and memorize! Learn to seize the small moments to memorize God’s Word.
Memorizing the Bible can help:
- Stop an argument.
- Initiate an apology.
- Cast out evil thoughts.
- End a pity party.
- Offer a witness.
- Prompt our kindness.
- Calm our worries.
Don't you want this!
To help you get started (or re-started), let me email you a pdf with four free Scripture memory bookmarks you can print out. Each bookmark contains four powerful verses on different themes: Wisdom, Peace, Holiness, and Worry. Just send an email to Jon@jongauger.com, and I'll get the pdf to you.